Now with hookers and beer!

FPS Thread

Started by commodorian, Jun 16, 2024, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commodorian

Welcome to the FPS thread! Here we discuss first-person-shooters. That's it.
deez nuts : )
goat ham

commodorian

I've recently been playing Selaco. Very beautiful game, but personally the gameplay doesn't click with me nearly as much as something like CULTIC or Nightmare Reaper. I do absolutely appreciate the attention to detail. Everything on a table has interactions with explosions, bullets, or punches. In the heat of battle, it becomes quite the pink bloodbath.

Anyway, anyone else been playing FPSes?
goat ham

cc

perfect dark just came out on switch so maybe i'll play that

commodorian

Quote from: cc on Jun 23, 2024, 02:25 PMperfect dark just came out on switch so maybe i'll play that
Perfect Dark is one that's on my bucket list. I'm sure there's a PC port, but if not I can just emulate.
goat ham

commodorian

Yesterday I picked up a game called "VALDiK BRUTAL"

As you might be able to tell, it is very Half-Life inspired. The intro makes several references to Half-Life games. And Portal too. I've honestly not left the initial disaster facility yet, but this game has good bones. The shotgun is really something else.
goat ham

I might check out Vladik, but it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. Gameplay seems fun enough.

commodorian

Quote from: Stevie Akers on Aug 26, 2024, 11:16 PMI might check out Vladik, but it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. Gameplay seems fun enough.
I have since finished the game and started another playthrough on the hard difficulty.

I would like to note that the gameplay really isn't anything to write home about. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but there's nothing that really is exceptional. There are better shotguns in other games (notably Selaco, but it's a bit unfair to compare to that since VLADiK is a solo-project. and very much lifted up by the Unreal Asset Store). There's better AI in other games. It very much feels like Half-Life 2 AI. Which is a compliment, to be clear, but things have changed since the mid 00s.

The visual design is a little odd too. Since this game pretty heavily relies on assets from a store, some parts are at odds. For example, the panicky get-this-thing-off-of-me enemies that behave like headcrabs but are humanoid have all sorts of eyes and other offputting things on them. This is by far the most odd-looking enemy, and really stands out compared to the rest of the cast. The other ones are pretty standard-looking zombie enemies. (Of course, I'm not talking about the Combine equivalent Army grunts here)

To be clear, the game is fun, and has very good moments. It's well worth the 12 bucks, but not really something I'd say blew me away. Towards the end it kinda gets bogged down with having an excessive amount of the Army, which would be fine but it's on a fully-open arena. The previous encounters with the Army were certainly corridor-based, so planting those enemies in an arena context makes it quite difficult. Not particularly frustrating once you get the hang of it and figure out it's not them you need to kill but other vehicles, but took a little while to get there.

The dev should certainly add a horde mode. That'd be a lot of fun.
goat ham